Skip to main content

Provider Resources

Provider Consultation

Once you are registered with Early Achievers, Child Care Action Council offers consultation on many topics including child guidance, circle time, parent communication, working with children’s special needs, lesson planning, curriculum and administration. Child Care Action Council offers individual orientation sessions once you are signed up for Early Achievers through their MERIT account.

In-Service Training

Child Care Action Council trainers are available to come to your center to offer STARS classes designed for your staff and center. Contact Connie Dougherty, Professional Development Coordinator, 360-786-8907 x108 to request a topic from our training calendars or to discuss other potential topics. Not only is in-service training convenient, but when you host a class for 10 or more, two of your staff are trained free!

Infant Toddler Consultation

The Child Care Action Council is funded by DCYF to support Early Achievers sites that accept infants and toddlers on WCCC subsidy in Grays Harbor, Lewis, north Mason, Pacific, and Thurston counties. Consultation is available to infant and/or toddler teachers in areas such as:

  • Mental health support (behavior issues)
  • Developmental screening
  • Interactions
  • Environments

If your child care facility is interested in support with infants or toddlers, please contact your Early Achievers coach and ask them to refer you for services. For questions about infant toddler services, contact Connie Dougherty at 360-786-8907 x108 or email

Department of Children, Youth, and Families:

Basic Child Care Licensing Information:  

Individuals and agencies that offer child care must be licensed through the State of Washington with few exceptions. You need to be licensed if:
  • You are caring for a child or children who are not related to you (except a close relative); 

  • The care is on an ongoing, regularly scheduled basis for the purpose of engaging in business.

  • Persons who care for a relative's, neighbor’s or friend’s child or children (known as Family, Friend and Neighbor {FFN}) with or without compensation, where the person providing care for periods of less than twenty-four hours does not conduct such an activity on an ongoing, regularly scheduled basis for the purpose of engaging business, which includes but is not limited to, advertising.  Such care is not required to be licensed but is an option for FFN providers. 

For more information about licensing, visit the Department of Children, Youth, and Families Licensing web page.

Child Care Aware of Washington Scholarships for Child Care Professionals

Child Care Aware of Washington Scholarships supports early learning professionals who wish to expand and enrich their expertise in Early Childhood Education. Our goal is to advance the early learning field by improving the educational qualifications, incentives and retention of the early childhood workforce. Please visit Child Care Aware of Washington's website for scholarship information.


Early Achievers Needs-Based Grants for FY2020:  

The Department of Children, Youth, and Families has released the details of the Early Achievers Needs-Based Grants program for FY2020. Click to view an overview and FAQ sheet on the program. New this year is the opening of the grants to Early Achievers rated 3, 3+ and 4 providers starting in January 2020 through June 30, 2020. Questions can be directed to

Imagine Institute

The Imagine Institute offers grassroots professional development opportunities that work for early learning professionals. The Imagine Institute respects the knowledge early learning professionals already possess and strive to offer relevant, respectful, and responsive supports for professional success. Services include training, Imagine U (Mentor Program), and Substitute Pool. >>Details and eligibility

Child Development Associate

Looking to earn a Child Development Associate (CDA) national credential? Here is what you need to know:

  • All CCAC classes can be applied toward the education requirements for your initial CDA or CDA renewal.
  • CCAC class descriptions will indicate which CDA subject area the class applies to.
  • The CDA is awarded by the Council for Professional Recognition. You can access their website and all the information you need at
  • Some of our staff members are approved to conduct CDA observations (a required step in your CDA process). You will find a list of qualified observers at
  • As an alternative to the CDA, you may wish to consider a Washington early childhood initial certificate, which does not require renewal. Certificates are offered through your local community college.