Skip to main content  

Frequently Asked Questions About Child Care

Where can I find help paying for child care?
What if my child has special needs?
How do I know if my provider is licensed?
What if I have concerns about my child care?


Where can I find help paying for child care?
Working Connections Child Care is a state program that helps families with children pay for child care while they work, look for work or are in a state-approved training. Families with incomes under 200 percent of the Federal Poverty Level qualify. Parents who receive a subsidy help pay for child care services with a co-payment that depends on family size and income. >>Find out more about Working Connections or apply

The Department of Children, Youth, and Families oversees the Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program (ECEAP), a preschool program designed to help low-income and at-risk children and their families succeed in school and life. Four and three-year-old children and their families that are at 110 percent of the Federal Poverty Level are eligible. This includes families receiving public assistance, children in the foster care system and parents with limited incomes who are working or in school. >>Find out more about ECEAP 

>>Subsidy Information for Providers

What if my child has special needs?
Most children, including those with disabilities and special needs, spend some time in a child care environment. In a quality child care environment, caregivers respond positively to differences in children’s abilities, interests and experiences. Our child care provider professional development academy offers free classes on working with children with special needs. CCAC also provides onsite consultation to parents and providers to assist in creating a relationship and an environment where your child will succeed and be happy. CCAC encourages child care providers to accept children with special needs and keeps track of providers that have education and experience working with children with special needs. Let us know if your child has special needs of any kind. The Child Care Action Council's trained Resource & Referral specialists will provide you with and enhanced search to assist you in finding a child care that can meet your needs. Contact the Resource & Referral team by calling 360-754-0810 or 800-845-0956

Additionally, our community partners, South Sound Parent to Parent and Arc of Washington State provide support for families including a child with special needs.

How do I check on a provider’s license and complaint history?
The Department of Children, Youth, and Families Child Care Check helps parents and others find general licensing information and complaints about licensed child care providers and facilities. Call 866-482-4325 or >>Use the Licensed Child Care Check tool 

What if I have concerns about my child care provider or facility?
You can play an important role in the ongoing monitoring of licensed child care and school age care programs. To inquire about a specific licensed program, discuss concerns, or file a complaint, call the Licensed Child Care Check Information Line at 866-482-4325.


Updates & Upcoming Events

COVID-19 Agency Update

For a list of Child Care Action Council cancellations and postponed events, please go to our Health and Safety Updates page.
Child Care Appreciation Day, May 8th
**Nominate your child care provider!**

If you would like to nominate your child care provider for a chance to win a $100 gift card for their classrooms*, please submit your nomination by May 7th:
*Please note, this contest is for Washington State licensed child care providers in Thurston, Mason, Grays Harbor, Clallam, Jefferson, and Kitsap counties only.